Tuesday, October 9, 2012

DIY ICE CREAM BIRTHDAY CAKE
 I AM A PICKY CAKE EATER!! Anyone else fit this category?  I hate cake that looks beautiful, but tastes disgusting (too much frosting, dry cake, etc.).  I like ice cream cakes, but despise the cost for a little cake. 
My easy yummy messy ice cream cake.
First I need a base.  I cut up my trusty cereal box, two layers thick for sturdiness.

Wrap in aluminum.

The ingredients bought at Walmarts, with the exception of the Trader Joe chocolate covered potato chips. (Don't get these, I bought them on a whim; because, the birthday girl loves potato chips and chocolate.  Not so great.)  Buy boxed ice cream as this is the key to making your ice cream cake easy.  Pick your own toppings, cake flavors, and candy bar. I use chocolate shell's to create a fun texture on the top and side of the cake.

Baked cake cut to match the size of your ice cream box.

Place first layer of cake on tray, and shave the top till level.

Crush your candy bar.

Put your caramel sauce and crashed butterfinger on top of the cake.

Now the fun part. After your first layer of cake is ready take your ice cream out of the fridge, unwrap, and cut into three lengthwise pieces.  Don't take out your ice cream too early as it melts fast! Add the ice cream, and then the next cake layer repeating all the steps.  You can make it 6 levels high or just 4.  On the top layer of ice cream I put more caramel, butterfinger, and then the hard shell.  I then put it back in the freezer to set up again before serving. I added the chocolate covered potatoe chips that I'll nix next time.



2 comments: