Sunday, July 29, 2012

Underwear to Outerwear
Here is my tutorial about making a slip into a fun shirt to wear.  Enjoy!!
 The initial vintage slip.
 My sewing marks.  Cut 14" down from the top of the slip. Make a 6" mark from the top of the slip. Also mark 8 1/2" along the lace hem line edge.
 
 On the opposite side seam measure 8" up from the hem and cut.

 At the top of the slip, measure 17" in and make a mark. 
 From the 17" mark measure 6" in and make another mark.
 Now line up the 6" marks from the top waistline to the 6" mark from the side seam.  Pin and sew between marks.  You just made and arm hole.
 Next to the 8 1/2" hem mark line, measure and mark 3 1/4". Pin both layers together and sew between marks.
 Now for the finishing touches.  Tailor tack the ends of the slits you created by cutting.  You do not need to turn under the edges you cut since slips are made out of knits and will not fray.

 The finished product! I



A shout out for a talented friend I recently met.  Jody Cheever made the charm from sea glass found on the beach in Costa Rica.  What a cute idea!! I couldn't have asked for a better accent to my new shirt. 

MY DISCLAIMER
Of course I realize not all slips come in the same size, nor are all bodies the same size.  The general idea of where to slit your slip and how to make an armhole should be the same for everyone. You will need to tweek the measurements for slits and the armhole.  Good luck, and if you need help give me a shout.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talented and beautiful! If I gave you one of my undershirts, could you make me a sylish headwrap?

    ReplyDelete