Thursday, August 9, 2012

SCHOOL UNIFORM UPCYCLE
It's that time of year!  My 5 year old is entering school for the 1st time and has been asked to wear a uniform.  I have mixed feelings about this, only because I love clothes.  We had to order shirts from the uniform company, but were informed that we could obtain the rest from other vendors as long as it is navy blue or khaki.   So of course I remade something.  I might be getting her in trouble since it is a variation. We'll see what the school says.

 Here are two examples of a school uniform jumper.
 An adult crepe de chine skirt, that I never really wore.
 The pins mark where I am going to sew to take it in from the center back seam. I only sew it down to the bottom pin.

Now I am taking the extra fabric and centering it on both sides of the CB.  I will sew it down to the end of the pin. Two seams here.
 The skirt is now smaller and is ready for straps.  Khaki belt and a trusty hanger. The belt has an adjustable slide to change the length of the belt.  This is important.

 Bent a hanger and made a metal loop.
 Sew the metal loop on the CB.
I cut the belt buckle off  and attatched to the skirt. (Seen on the left).  Feed the cut end through the back loop, then sew the cut end to the skirt. (Seen on the right.)

 Finished Product.


What do you think?  Will she get in trouble?  Personally I think it is a step up from the drab uniform shown above....but my 5 yr old hates confrontation like me.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is way cute but have no idea how strict your school will be! We are just a regular Idaho school with no uniforms. But I think uniforms are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the style. I too have my own style and opinions on uniforms (even as a teacher). I'm interested to see if this "passes." If so, you might have made a BIG mistake...you might have to start a business! :)

    ReplyDelete